Here is a great article: Swimming And Chlorine: How Swimmers Protect Their Hair and Skin by FreeDrinkingWater.com.
The author details two routines swimmers can use for protecting their hair and skin from the damaging effects of chlorine—an unfortunate side effect all swimmer experience.
How Swimmers Protect Their Hair
- Apply a thin layer of oil to your hair before swimming. You can pour olive oil, baby oil or coconut oil onto your hands and just rub it through your hair to protect it.
- Wet your hair with non-chlorinated water prior to swimming will lessen the amount of the element that can be absorbed.
- Purchase swimming-specific shampoos and other pre-swim conditioning treatments that can keep hair healthy when swimming. (Check out Goodbye Chlorine’s hair and skin products for swimmers.)
- Re-wet your hair frequently to rinse of the chlorine and keep it saturated with clean non-chlorinated water.
- Use a bathing cap to keep water from contacting your hair.
- Add a post-swim routine of deep shampooing, not using the high setting on the blow dryer and using a wide-tooth comb instead of a brush.
How Swimmers Protect Their Skin
- Apply a waterproof sunscreen designed to protect against chlorine sensitivities.
- Shower frequently between swims to reduce the amount of overall chlorine your skin will absorb.
- Shower again after swimming. This will remove all traces of chlorine. Use soap this time.
- Apply after-swim lotions that are specifically designed to neutralize chlorine’s causticity.
This was excellent advice before Goodbye Chlorine’s products were developed. All of our products have been developed by swimmers for swimmers and combat the damaging effects of chlorine.
Swimmers no longer have to have a lengthy pre- and post-swim routine just to keep their hair and skin healthy. Now simply use Goodbye Chlorine products. Use them separately, or together to maximize the results.
Our products do what they are intended to do. Goodbye Chlorine shower gel removes chlorine naturally and gently washes your skin and hair. Our conditioner also releases chlorine and also re-hydrates your hair.
Simplify your swimming routine, use Goodbye Chlorine products. It’s another reason swimmers love our products.
Articles you may find helpful
Swimmer’s Hair: How to avoid it and fix it.
Anti-Chlorine Shampoo and Conditioner: Instantly Removes Chlorine
What causes “swimmer’s hair” and how to care for it.
Should you use anti-chlorine soap, or anti-chlorine spray?
Shampoo avid swimmers use to win the chlorine battle.
The Science of Chlorine: Why it’s important for public health.
Spring Into a New Hair Color
Moisturizer for Swimmers
Body Wash Elite Swimmers Use After Swimming
Hair Care for Swimmers
Chlorine Removal Body Wash for Swimmers